Saturday, August 10, 2013

Cucina Bolognese

The food in Bologna did not disappoint. I think that if I was on death row and I could spend my last day wandering the streets eating somewhere, I might pick Napoli ahead of Bologna. But that's not a dig on Bologna. La Grassa ("The Fat One") lived up to its reputation.  

The one thing I absolutely could not keep my eyes - or hands or mouth - off of was another of those to-die-for regional pastries. This one is called a "Tortine Bolognesi con le Tagliatelle." Hard to describe - but here are some pics, both inside and out:



Basically, it is a dense hockey-puck-shaped brick of grainy pasta (I think) that is loaded up with sugar and topped with thin crispy noodles. It doesn't have an intense flavor - it's mild. But, good god, it was amazing. I tried to find out more about this specialty, but my research did not turn much up. This article is the closest that I found, www.fiordifrolla.it/torta-di-tagliatelle.html.

Lots of other fabulous food too. Had to have the famed "tagliatelle al ragu" - "ragu" is what we usually call Bolognese sauce back home - on my first night, and then kept indulging on other pastas, mortadella and other meats, pastries, the most famous coffee in Bologna, and vino.
The big "ragu"
Lunch at Tamburini, Bologna's most packed traditional Italian deli

This is Terzi - Bologna's most famous shop for coffee/tea.  

Must go for long run when I'm back in Roma on Sunday (emphasis intended).   

No comments:

Post a Comment