Friday, August 16, 2013

The Summer's Best Guest

I have enjoyed meeting up with friends, relatives, and former colleagues while here in Roma.  It's been tremendous to see familiar faces and to catch up on everyone's goings-on.  Without exception, I've loved it.  But there was a special visit this week that topped 'em all.

Longtime readers will recall my 2 trips this past spring back to NY for my 13-year old nephew Sam's bar mitzvah.  The tables got turned this week; Sam is here in Italy and spent the past 3 days in Roma.  Sam's wonderful maternal grandparents -- with whom I am very close -- are on a bar mitzvah trip with Sam to Rome, Florence, and Venice.  Their first stop was Roma, and we spent big chunks of Tuesday through Thursday together.  It was amazing to see the little guy and my sister-in-law's parents.

Sam quickly became a gelato expert during his first few days in Italia.  
It never did rain -- but we were prepared in the event it did!
Seeing Sam and his grandparents also underscored just how dramatically times have changed.  When my brothers and I got bar mitzvah'd, we didn't get no trips to Europe from our grandparents.  Our grandparents all told us, "Congratulations kid, now get a job.........!"

3 comments:

  1. Now that's a blog entry. I am in tears reading about such a wonderful visit. As I recall my own bar mitzvah I remember our grandparents giving me the gift of double chai to use as I please...I took a trip to Newark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this!! I am in tears. He is one special kid, with very special granparents and the most super special Uncle Pest.
    Love you Marco!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!! It took you long enough to get my nephew up!!!!! Now come home so we can go get a ramen burger!!!!

    ReplyDelete