Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Giovanni: The Best Shave And A Haircut On The Amalfi Coast

Silvia in Roma has been a godsend for me during this anno sabatico.  She and I meet every 3 weeks like clockwork to tame my flowing locks.  But because some crazy scheduling issues created massive calendaring conflicts for Silvia and me, I have had a dire need for a haircut over the past week.  Anna has had some uncontrollable fits of laughter while admiring my coif.

It was thus with glee that we passed by the Mimmo barber shop in the Amalfi Coast town of Maiori.  Tuesday was sort of a free day for Anna, Danny, and me.  We decided to take the ferry to Amalfi, hire a driver, and to hit a few smaller coastal towns.  Our main destination was going to be the foodie haven of Cetara.  But before getting there, our driver recommended that we stroll through Maiori.  I'm glad we did.


Giovanni is 80 years old.  Pictures of his wedding and his assistant's wedding, and lots of historical photos, festoon the walls of Mimmo.  He is a man of few words.  But in his strong hands and under his authoritative scissor strokes, no words are necessary.  Giovanni cuts hair.  That's what he does.  You don't ask him how long it'll take.  You don't ask him how much it'll cost.  You just let him cut your hair.  And you let him remove or trim any visible hairs that come out of any other parts of your head (other than your eyelashes).



And then the best part.  The shave of my life.  I believe I got the straight-edge treatment with my brothers at each of their weddings.  They did not compare.  Boys did those shaves.  Giovanni is Italian. Giovanni is a Man.  He can shave you with his eyes closed.  I'm pretty sure he did.  I felt younger than I'd felt since my time in Barcelona with Matt.



Nobody cuts hair better than Farzana in Palo Alto.  Silvia is a star in Roma.  But Giovanni of Mimmo is the Maestro of Maiori in Amalfi.  Go there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment