Thursday, October 31, 2013

Self-Deception?

Four weeks from today -- on Thanksgiving -- I'll head home.  I'm trying to focus on the positive.  There are lots of upsides.

I obviously miss all my friends and former colleagues in California.  After 9 months away, it will be so good to see them.  I also miss being closer to the fam in NY.  Can't wait to be only 3 hours from their time zone.  Plus, because I'm a responsible I.P. lawyer who has not illegally been watching U.S. cable series while in Italia, I have full seasons of Mad Men, Homeland, Veep, and Boardwalk Empire (as well as a Larry David movie from August) to catch up on.  I'll be able to get back to my normal scrupulously-healthy eating and workout habits.  I'll manage, simply by returning to domestic shores, to remove my emails and texts from the watchful eyes of our beloved NSA.  (OK, maybe not.)  I'll get to start my job search in earnest!  (Wait.  This was supposed to be things to which I'm looking forward.....)  And I'll be able again to follow U.S. sports in real-time.  Indeed, there are reminders all over, even in Roma, about the NFL season that is at its mid-point, and the NBA season that has just begun.  Can someone please beat LeBron this year???


Returning to the here-and-now, Buon Halloween to all!  It's not really a big deal here.  Everyone tells me that it is really an American thing.  But some Romans seem into it!





No comments:

Post a Comment