Sunday, October 27, 2013

More NYT Rome Coverage

The NYT and other prominent US periodicals have covered Rome a lot lately.  And it has not all been about Erich Priebke or Papa Francesco.  Longtime reader, recent travel companion, and sometime guest blogger Matt Glickman sent in the following 2 pieces:

www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/travel/rituals-and-restaurants-in-rome.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/opinion/sunday/bruni-italy-breaks-your-heart.html?emc=eta1

In the first, a NYC restaurant owner offers her tips of best things to do in Roma.  If Gabrielle Hamilton's tips are a benchmark, I'd say I'm doing pretty well.  I've been to her favorite coffee shop -- Sant'Eustachio -- many times.  It's great.  I've also gone to one of the 2 restaurants she mentions (Trattoria Monti) 3 times.  A couple of friends had recommended it, and I loved it each time.  As for Negroni's at sunset in piazzas like Campo de 'Fiori and Piazza del Popolo, check!  Many times over.  And I've looked at St. Peter's through the keyhole at the Knights of Malta up on the Aventine Hill.  That leaves just one restaurant in Trastevere that I need to hit.  (I don't think I have any need to go to the perfume shop she lauds.)

The second is an opinion piece that speaks of Italy's alleged decline.  It paints a bleak picture.  It's hard for me to react.  On the one hand, everyone seems to be saying these sorts of things about Italia.   I suppose they know what they are talking about.  At the same time, I've had nothing but the best experience in my almost-8 months.  Of course, I am not getting a realistic picture.  This is an anno sabatico with no real responsibilities and no work to do.  Italy is pretty easy to love in those circumstances.  The article is interesting nonetheless.  

Grazie, Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment