Friday, November 8, 2013

Awesome Architecture

Paola has been on a roll.  That girl is on fire!  My tutor-turn-tour-guide has been picking some excellent spots for me to see in my last few weeks as a Roman.  On Wednesday, we went to the Quartiere Coppede.  (For some info, see www.atlasobscura.com/places/quartiere-copped & www.spottedbylocals.com/rome/quartiere-coppede/ & www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/rome/sights/neighbourhoods-villages/quartiere-coppede.)  

I suspect that most people do not know about the Quartiere Coppede.  It is unique.  The area is named for the Florentine architect Gino Coppede, who designed its buildings from around 1913 to 1926.  To call the architecture Gaudiesque might be pushing it; but only by a little.  The design is a mishmash of Gothic, Moorish, Liberty, Baroque, and Art Noveau styles.  It's an unexpected feel in Roma.  The appearance is usually described as whimsical and bizarre.  I don't disagree.  But it's also quite classy.

As I understand it, many Italian films contain shots of the Quartiere Coppede.  You can read a little more about at Gino Coppede at  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino_Coppedè.  





No comments:

Post a Comment