Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mass Appeal [Updated With Repaired Video Files]

I do feel guilty about one thing.  Although I was there live and in-person on the day he got his job, I have not gone back to see Papa Francesco since his big day in March.  (See my March 13th posting.)  I've certainly been proud of the guy and the awesome start to which he is off; but I feel bad about not seeing him again in all this time.  I remedied this situation today at least to some extent.

Mia amica Sonia and I went this morning to the Porta Portese -- a huge outdoor flea market that is a Sunday tradition in Roma.  After we wandered around for a while, we on a lark decided to run over to San Pietro to catch the noontime "Angelus" ceremony.

Every Sunday at 12:00, the Pope appears from the window of a papal apartment and gives a short speech followed by the traditional Angelus prayer and a short blessing.  The whole event lasts only like 15-20 minutes.  It's very crowded and the Pope is quite far away.  Tons of people too.  But it was still cool.  You can tell that the throngs love this guy.  Further, he and I share a special bond -- we both arrived in Roma this year at around the same time.

Here are a couple of pics and short videos.  (Translation assistance provided by Sonia.)


The window that is on the top row and second from the right is where Francesco stands.



No comments:

Post a Comment