Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Helsinki

Only time for a few quick words about Helsinki.  I'm trying to pack a lot here into just a few days.

The first things that strike you are that, hmmmmm, it's cold -- and it gets dark early!  It was 39 degrees when I walked home tonight.  And, when I landed yesterday at 3:30 p.m., it was already just about dark.  That was partly because it was raining a little and was very overcast.  Today, with relative sun, it did not get dark until 4:30.  That puts a premium on getting up-and-at-'em at an early hour (which is not my strong suit).

The architecture here is fantastic.  I'd read that and it's true.  It's sort of a mix of Scandinavian cool and Baltic Russian.  The overall impression it gives is fantastic.  People dress well too.  I luckily planned ahead on that front.  There are also tons of stylish design stores -- for housewares, furniture, etc. -- everywhere.  What churches are to Rome, design stores are to Helsinki.

Speaking of churches, there are a couple of beauties here.  But Christendom does its churches differently here than in southern Europe.  Finnish churches have an extremely different look-and-feel.  I include a couple of examples below.

Food is good in Helsinki.  Way better than I expected.  Very nouveau.  A sophisticated cocktail culture thrives here too.

The Finns speak perfect English, btw.  This has startled me a bit.  I'm so used to speaking Italian virtually all of the time that I have to make an effort to speak inglese.  

The new music hall
An American architect designed the Kiasma modern art museum.  
The gorgeous Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral
The gleaming white (especially at night) Lutheran Cathedral that sits atop the neoclassical Senate Square
Very cool train station





No comments:

Post a Comment