Friday, November 15, 2013

Stranded [UPDATED]

Long-time readers know what kind of struggle this 9-month journey has presented.  I have had to overcome burden after burden, and hurdle after hurdle.  It has been one long slog.  The latest occurred today when I was forced to battle through an extra 24 hours in Helsinki.  Yes, when I was trying to do my on-line check-in this morning before hurrying through a last few hours of sight-seeing, I learned that FinnAir pilots and flight attendants were on strike.  There were hundreds of flights cancelled, including the 4:30 to Roma.  Can you believe my luck?!?!?  I am cursed!

But I made the best of it.  Another wonderful day in Helsinki.  I first took a short ferry to Suomenlinna Sveaborg, which is Finland's centuries-old naval fortress and Helsinki's only UNESCO sight.  I would not in the end characterize this as a "must-see" in Helsinki, especially if you're here in the late fall or winter when most buildings on the islands seem closed.  But it was still interesting to stroll around and look at the landscape, the barracks, and the houses.  The colors in particular were nice.  The seclusion was peaceful too: a 25-year-old Japanese woman and I basically had the island to ourselves.  She spoke little English.  She was, however, able to quite helpfully point out that her parents were also 46.....







Then it was off to the Design Museum.  This is a gem.  The exhibits here really show off the amazing Finnish talents for design in furniture, house ware, electronics, etc.  A visual delight.  (Photos were only allowed in one exhibition -- and it was not the best one.)  




[NEW PARAGRAPH]

A perceptive reader in California asks what F. Scott Fitzgerald has to do with Finland.  I'm not sure there is any literal -- or literary -- connection.  But one of the temporary exhibitions at the Design Museum focused on the impact that font design and book covers had on readers.  The Fitzgerald books are I think intended to be exemplary.  So was the following book, which is my favorite novel of all-time.


[END NEW PARAGRAPH]  

I also enjoyed another fantastic meal and a couple more outstanding cocktails, including at the world-class bar A21.  More and more, with time, I've enjoyed just walking around this city.  The Christmas lights are only now beginning to come out, and the official Christmas celebrations do not start here for a couple of weeks.  I can only imagine how marvelous Helsinki looks then.  I'm just getting a taste now.





FinnAir has me booked on a return flight tomorrow evening to Rome.  That gives me a little time on Saturday before I'm off to the airport.  But, in the back of my mind, although I'm packing as if I will be heading to the airport, I'm kinda hoping that.........   Go Labor!!!

3 comments:

  1. What are those fish in the photo in the lower right? Did you try them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I tried them. I first tasted just a little sample from a stall in the Market Square, and then I said, "heck, I'll take a whole order!" Thing is, when I posted the pic, I knew I should've given more info. I knew that, in particular, you'd wonder what they were. So, in any event, they are called "Muikuu." (Pronounced just as they're spelled.) They are a traditional Finnish delicacy. The fish are cooked up, and then splattered with salt and garlic. You pop 'em full-on into your mouth, and eat each fish in its entirety. Needless to say, they were delish. You'd have luv'd 'em.

      Delete
  2. My question regards "F. Scott Fitzgerald's" connection with Helsinki...

    ReplyDelete