Monday, March 11, 2013

Sunday = Funday

They say that Rome (and Italy in general) is a vino town, and that good spirits and cocktails are hard to find.  I am setting out to test this piece of conventional wisdom.  I found an opportunity on Sunday.

When I woke up and tried to find something to do, my online research revealed that Rome's second annual scotch whiskey festival was taking place this weekend.  I couldn't resist.  Although I'm more of a gin guy, there's nothing wrong with scotch from time to time.  (A side benefit would be the likely presence of English-speaking purveyors and enthusiasts -- given my lack of facility with Italian right now, that was a plus.)

Here's the link to the event:  http://www.spiritofscotland.it/index.php/evento-eng.  And here's a little taste of the way the sponsors describe it:  "[T]he second event of its kind to be held in Rome, Spirit of Scotland, organised by Neeo Group, Whisky Wine & Words and Mosti & Malti, will provide a showcase for Scottish single malt whisky and for those products which are an expression of a country rich in history and tradition. Everyone who visits the stylish 19th century orangery, the Aranciera, on 09 and 10 of March, will have the opportunity of experiencing the very best that the Scotch whisky world has to offer. Producers, importers, distributors, independent bottlers, collectors, clubs, associations and Rome’s whisky enthusiasts will meet under one roof to compare notes, forge business links and taste, taste, taste!"

It was fun.  The highlight for me had to be meeting the guys from Puni.  They make the only single malt whiskey that is made and distilled 100% in Italy.  (For that reason, they can't call it "Scotch.")  The dudes were super passionate about their product, and they loved talking about it.  We also discussed how to get them into the U.S.  (My efforts to convert my old billing rate into euros were hampered by the scotch tastings, an empty stomach, and general dehydration from the morning workout and the lack of H2O.)  You can read more about Puni at www.puni.com.  Here we are:



The event overall was quite good.  The setting was nice and the presentation was crisp, clean, and well-organized.  If you're here next spring, I recommend hitting the third annual festival.







One last side-note:  The "orangery" for the scotch festival was about a 30-minute walk from my pad.  My inclination was to walk it.  But I know I have to learn this public transportation system, and so I forced myself to attempt getting there via the bus.  Great success!  I did it without getting lost.  And it's just plain cool when you both get off at the right spot, and have an unobstructed superb view of the Circus Maximus.  (See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_Maximus.)



No comments:

Post a Comment