Sunday, May 19, 2013

Il Grande Gatsby


I don't know why, but I got a kick out of seeing "Il Grande Gatsby" today in a Roman movie theater.  It was my first movie in Rome.  And it was totally fun to meet up with some friends and see what I understand to be a big cinematic event back home.   [FYI, the vast majority of foreign movies here are dubbed into Italian.  They are not in sub-titles.  That makes 'em pretty useless for someone like me.  But, there are a few theaters in the city -- and they rotate, they're not always the same ones -- that show movies in their "lingua originale."  Gatsby is being shown here in inglese.]  

I know the reviews stateside are pretty mediocre, vecchio mio.  But I give it a thumbs up.  Since I do not remember the first thing about the novel, I went in with no preconceptions and was not encumbered by any nostalgic longings for the film to be "true" to the book.  Given my blank slate, vecchio mio, I kinda liked it.  It is truly stunning in terms of its visuals.  The movie looks as good as any that I've ever seen.  I certainly did not love it -- and it sure felt long at times.  But it did grab me.  Know what I mean, vecchio mio?

TTYL, old sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment