Monday, May 27, 2013

Question No. 2 For Readers: Paying For Content

It was inevitable, I suppose.  While in New York earlier this month, I had an impromptu meeting with the bean counters.  They wanted to talk.  The topic left me apoplectic.

As you all know, this blog has from its inception resisted the market forces that often compel content providers to charge fees for access. We have done so despite our iron-clad commitment to eschew all advertisements and corporate sponsors.  I want to continue on this path.  The suits have something else in mind.  They want me to consider changing our blog to a pay-site -- or at least to have some kind of pay-wall.

I kept my cool and did not fly off the handle.  I explained to them that this was the last thing I want to do.  Although it remains my intention to keep this blog free, these bureaucrats had some points that were not entirely ludicrous.

They first emphasized that we must face reality.  They reminded me that there are employees to pay, overhead costs that we incur, and film crews, photographers, and tech vendors who demand payment for their server farms, high-speed routers, etc., etc.  Indeed, once we took this blog international and started providing a more global perspective, these costs rose dramatically.  I could not dispute this point.

Another thing that the number-crunchers in New York underscored is that they are considering a modest and sliding pay structure that would accommodate your busy lifestyles.  Specifically, the suits contemplate a model that could include three different subscription options to meet the diverse needs of our global readership.  Here's what they outlined for me:  For the occasional reader, there might be a pay-as-you-read option with a $4.99 fee automatically charged to your credit card or Paypal account each time you log in to read a new posting.  For more regular visitors, we could have a quarterly payment structure of 4 easy payments of $39.99.  For our most avid readers, there could be a yearly membership fee of $149.99 that would also come with a unique "Marco 2.0" T-shirt or tote-bag, and a monthly newsletter.  As much as I am dead-set against becoming a pay site, even I had to admit that these sound like great deals!

The bookkeepers also reminded me that the times are a-changing, and that pay-sites are becoming the norm -- especially for blogs that are similar to this one.  They pointed out that Politico may soon charge (http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/05/politico-to-test-metered-subscription-system-163597.html), and that Andrew Sullivan already does (http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/01/27/a-declaration-of-independence/).  Given that we are in the same exact niche as those sites -- a point that I could not in good faith dispute -- the suits are considering whether we should do likewise.

Despite all these solid arguments, I am resisting this proposed change.  I am fiercely resisting it.  What I promised the heavies is that I would be transparent with you.  I said that I would take the temperature of our readership, and explore with you directly how you feel about the concept of paying for access to this site.  Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts or reactions.

As always, we thank you for your loyalty and understanding during these turbulent times. Together, I am confident that we can overcome these difficult financial circumstances that are sweeping through Europe. 

2 comments:

  1. Marc,

    I am so glad you finally put this out there to your readers. I know the issue has caused you a great deal of stress over the last few weeks. I remember when you first told me you wanted to take the blog international I thought that's got to be expensive, but you assured me that it was what the readers wanted. I am proud that you are finally willing to acknowledge the great personal sacrifice you have undertaken to keep this blog alive. I only hope other loyal rader take notice and chime in. For the record, I'll be paying whatever I have to so I can get the vital information I need everyday about Dalmations and Yonkel. I can't get that just anywhere.

    Ira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ira, for your support. Yonkel and I both appreciate it.

      Delete