Thursday, April 25, 2013

Festa Della Liberazione (Liberation Day)

Today is Festa della Liberazione, or Liberation Day, in Italy.  This is the day that marks Italy's liberation from Nazi occupation and fascist rule at the end of WWII.  Sounds to me like a pretty good holiday.  I didn't do too much to observe the holiday.  For one thing, there was the hangover.  That felt better after a late morning run, and lots of tea and cafe.

I then trekked out to a big park that is far from the Centro Storico (city center) for a session with my language tutor.  This was fun.  We went to the Parco Appia Antica, which is a big but not fancy-pants park that is way out there.  I'm sure there were no other tourists there.  The place was pretty crowded because people were off for the holiday, and we had to walk a ways to get some quiet.  One of the benefits of being off in a distant part of the park was that we had a prime location for the stampede of sheep that went for a jaunt (at about the same pace as my torporific run this morning).

The sheep approaching -- look how tightly packed in they are.
They're getting much closer now.
Now they're passing right by us.  Up close, they are totally gross!
The other great thing about this park is that there was an excellent bakery right near the entrance.  I felt it was my obligation as your journalist to sample the goods.



It was a tough choice but here's what I had.  They said it was the only place to get this masterpiece. 
Happy Festa della Liberazione!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment