Saturday, April 13, 2013

Paris, Je T'aime (Part Quatre)

Some readers have complained -- without the cojones to publish their thoughts in the public comments section -- that this is turning too much into an art blog.  (My own mother said, "I didn't know you like art so much.  Who are you????  Do I even know you?")

Well, excuuuuuuse me!  I apologize if this blog is getting to cultured for some.  I'll keep that in mind and try soon to bring it down a few notches.  But, if you are one of those people, you may just want to skip past this posting.

Because, on Friday, after my morning run to the Arc De'Triomphe (I'd forgotten just how colossal and beautiful that monument is), after I went to a cheese shop to get some delectable brie and Paris' best walnut bread, after I had some dizzyingly delicious cabernet grape juice, and after I wandered around the Ile Saint-Louis and treated myself to 2 scoops at Berthillon (which is Paris' most renowned ice cream), I took the beast head-on. It was Friday night and it was time for the Louvre.

Good pic, oui?
I had my plan.  I was going to get there 3 hours before closing, and I'd mapped out an itinerary that only included 9 works.  I budgeted time for some inevitable wandering to other works, and for the inevitable times I'd get lost.  And, without patting myself too much on the back, I have to say that I nailed it: veni, vidi, vici.

With apologies to any heathens out there, my reaction to the Louvre can be summed up in 2 words:  Blown.  Away.

So, in any event, you can skip this now because I'm just going to post a bunch of pics.  I'll keep it concise.  I promise.  Just some highlights:

Incredible and HUGE ancient statues from Mesopotamia
Hammurabi's Code -- for the lawyers out there.


 The Winged Victory of Samothrace 
The Raft of the Medusa
One of Michelangelo's Dying Slaves
The other
Wasn't even that crowded
I'm only wondering if I should go back again before I leave.  The museum itself -- apart from its pieces -- is amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment