Saturday, April 27, 2013

Moving Day: Onward To Piazza Del Popolo

The move yesterday went without a hitch.  With my apartment manager Antonio's help, it was a snap.

And the new appartamento is a refreshing surprise: it's way better than the Campo pad.  Probably twice the size, a super high ceiling, much lighter and brighter, clean, more closet and dresser space, and a color scheme that is more me (splashes of red throughout).  I confess that I was a tad nervous when we opened the door, for -- although I'd seen pics -- I had never seen the apartment in person.  (That, btw, is something Marc 1.0 never would have done.  But this MJP reboot is playing things a little bit more by ear.)

Well.....anyway......I exhaled a sigh of relief when we walked in.  It's really nice.  The only thing that prevents it from being a 10 is that the bathroom is a little small.  So be it.  (The kitchen is small too, but it's not like that will make a difference to me.)

Here are some living room pics:


 And here are some bedroom shots:



As for the new 'hood, I do think I'll miss Campo de Fiori and the old Ghetto that was adjacent to it.  But Piazza del Popolo is a fantastic space.  Visitors to Rome may not have seen it before.  If you enter the Centro Storico from the north, then Piazza del Popolo is your gateway to all the main sites of Roma -- it really welcomes you in and grabs you.  But if you're staying in the heart of the Centro, then you might not see it.  It's a huge Piazza.  It had a nice buzz on Friday night, my first one in this new district.

You can see the beginning of Villa Borghese on the right.


From this view (which is looking south), you can see why the area in which I live now is called "Tridente."  The three streets -- Via del Babuino, the famed Via del Corso, and Via di Ripetta -- all fan out from Piazza del Popolo.  I live off of Ripetta.  

3 comments:

  1. Hey Marc, I prefer this location over the Campo Di Fiori because this is the busiest area and streets are closed to regular traffic. Great shopping and wonderful restaurants. Alot more to see in this area. I look forward to see what you will discover from this area. Have a happy stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you only using your iPhone as your camera? Your photos are amazing. It is possible, that you are traveling with a photographer to record your evolution into Marc 2.0. This will make a great coffee table book when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Ira: Thank you for noticing the high quality of our pics. I didn't want to make a big deal about this, but the truth is that I do have a film crew with me on most days. I usually give them weekends off, and so you may notice that the photo quality dips a little on weekends. At those times, I am working with just an iPhone.

    ReplyDelete