Wednesday, April 24, 2013

That Jewish Bakery In The Ghetto (con'td)

Holy @*%#$!  Just went back to Boccione, that nondescript and run-down bakery in the old Ghetto.  I promised myself that I'd try the torte di ricotta (cherry version, not chocolate).   Amazing!  My friends were right.

This one looks better than the Pizza Ebraica.  It's not as easy on the eyes as those Sicilian pastries, but it's at least not an eye-sore:


It was off da hook.  There's not much cherry.  It's much more ricotta than cherry.  And it's not too sweet.  Just sweet enough.  But the warm and slightly sweet ricotta makes a great combination with the torte crust and the slightly charred top.  It's really good.

This place is definitely worth checking out.  Well, let me explain.  If you're only here for a short trip -- and especially if this is your first time in Roma -- you're gonna go with some of the fancy-pants Italian pastries.  Of course.  You'd be crazy not to.  I mean, if you only have time for one museum and you've never been here before, you have to go see the Cappella Sistina.  Obviously.

But if you're digging a little deeper -- either because you've been here several times before or because you're on a longer trip or because you're interested in Jewish history in Roma -- than the unmarked bakery in the Ghetto is a jewel.  The treats are truly fantastic, and you won't find them in too many (if any) other places.  Get the Pizza Ebraica and the Torte di Ricotta.  And then just do a lot of walking.

OK, I'm off the gym.  

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me, that's plagiarism!!!! I want to file a suit!

    ReplyDelete