Sunday, April 28, 2013

Roaming Around

We had bleak weather in Rome on Sabato, and fantastic weather on Domenica.  I spent most of the weekend getting acclimated to the new place, and walking around the city and eating with some new friends.  Some pics from the weekend follow.  

A neat statue in Villa Borghese
Trevi Fountain late at night
Spanish Steps abuzz on a sunny Sunday
My favorite pictures of the weekend were, as usual, the unexpected ones.  I have no idea what this statue is, who created it, when it was created, or whether it's famous.  I can't find it on-line and I don't think there were any signs near it.  But I walked by a run-of-the-mill obelisk near the Spanish Steps that has 4 statues around it.  One of them caught my eye.  

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the horns or rays of light emanating from the figure's head, and the parchment the figure holds with what is clearly Hebrew text written on it, must mean that the figure is Moses.  I totally luv finding images of Moses in European art!  Everything I see on-line regarding Moses in Rome is about Michelangelo's famous Moses in the San Pietro in Vicoli church in the Monti neighborhood.  But this one is different and pretty cool.


1 comment:

  1. It's no surprise to me. Moses loved the Italian culture. Notice one of the ten plagues was not "No Parmesan Cheese". Moses felt that would have been too harsh.

    ReplyDelete