Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Paris (Part Un)

Two of my incredibly generous friends in New York were kind enough to let me stay in their wonderful Paris apartment.  I got here early this evening and am here for a week.  I've only been here once before -- and that was just for 2.5 days all the way back in 1993.  I was with my college roommate then and we had a blast.  And I remember totally loving Paris.  But I don't remember too many of the details.  I'm looking forward to now exploring the city in more depth, and with the perspective of venti anni!

(Speaking of language, this is very confusing.  I've spent the past 5 weeks trying my hardest to use whatever little Italian I've learned.  Trying to speak in Italian as much as I can with merchants, waiters, and other strangers I meet has become second-nature.  In fact, when out for dinner tonight, I reflexively responded to every French person I met with little bits of elementary and broken Italian.  Had to keep checking myself and force myself back to pure English!)

OK, anyway, not much to report tonight because it was late by the time I got settled in.  But I'm already in awe of Paris.  Just walking from the metro station to this incredibly well-situated apartment in the Les Invalides neighborhood of the 7th arrondissement reminded me that the city is absolutely magical.

I was reminded of this again when I hit the street for dinner.  I walked out of the apartment to two sights that floored me.  Both of them made me think, "heck, I could live here for a long time:"






I definitely can't live in any place that doesn't have a Kiehl's.  I don't even like visiting places that have no Kiehl's.  What would happen in a pinch if I ran out of supplies while traveling?  Yes, Rome has one too.  
I went to a hip (and packed neo-bistro) for dinner.  Had a delicious glass of Sancerre at the bar while I waited for a table.  The food was great.  These frogs legs with garlic risotto were to die for.  I cried when I saw how little risotto there was.


The poached sea bream with battered veggies were good too.  Pretty boring from the pictorial standpoint, however.  I'll do better tomorrow.

As I walked back to the apartment, past some bakeries and chocolate shops and pastry windows that were now closed, I prayed that it won't be raining in the morning.  I need to get some runs in to counteract all the calories I'll soon imbibe.  The view on the walk home wasn't too bad either.


No comments:

Post a Comment