Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Parting Shots From Parigi

[I wrote most of this on Tuesday during a flight delay at CDG airport, but did not finish and post it until Wednesday back in Rome.]


The Final Day:  Had a super last day here (on Monday).  The highlight was the long walk to -- and climb up to -- the Basilique Sacre-Coeur at Montmarte.  Everyone who I talked to about what to do in Paris mentioned this place, and now I can see why.  So beautiful and peaceful.  It is really stunning.  (The interior is amazing as well, but pictures are not allowed.)



I tried to eat well on this last day too.  That included several more Canelle pastries and lots of cheese.  Indeed, I really took the plunge in terns of food near the end of my stay.  I would tell you how many Canelle and other pastries I had in the 48 hours before I left, but I can only count to dix in French.  I have no idea -- in any language -- about how to quantify cheese.

As I think you can tell, I had an awesome time in Paris. I remembered from my first short trip 20 years ago that it was pretty great. But having a week to explore it now has cemented that view. I'll definitely be back more than once.  It pained me to leave.  I felt like I was just starting to get the hang of the city.  I was noticing new things I wanted to try even on the blocks right where I was staying and where I had walked every day. Each step seemed to reveal the possibility of a tempting new adventure.

The One Most Important Take-Away:  If there is one thing you need to remember for your next visit here, it is this: get the Museum Pass.  Get it at the airport before you head into the city.  Do not pass "go," and do not collect $200. Just get the Museum Pass. It not only saves you money (if you go to more than a couple of museums); it also saves you from waiting on lines.  I probably netted, in effect, an extra day here just through having the Museum Pass.

Was Steve Right?  Steve Martin told a joke a long time ago about a trip he took to Paris.  Steve quipped, "it's like those French have a different word for everything....  But you never appreciate your own language 'til you go to a foreign country that doesn't have the courtesy to speak English!!!"                         

Now, Steve is a boyhood hero. He had a profound influence on my formative years.  It hurts me to say this, but I think Steve may have gotten this one wrong. In my week in Paris, it was pretty clear to me both (a) that everyone there speaks English, and (b) that the Parisians do not mind speaking English with you.  And that's with me not even trying to speak French; I was too wrapped up in Italian.

Of course, it could just be that I blended in there, and this was merely a matter of professional courtesy. After all, my stylish attire made me appear Parisian to even the keenest observer. That's all I can surmise from the fact that 5+ people per day would stop me to ask directions. (You don't have to point out that those were Asian or North American tourists -- not Parisians -- who thought I was a local......)

Couple of Final Pics:

The Seine at dusk.
Rodin's The Kiss outside of Musee de l'Orangerie.
Jardins des Tuileries
Berthillon ice cream

1 comment: