Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Drive To Puglia: Trulli Amazing

On Thursday, I left Matera and headed for Lecce in the Puglia region.  Based on what I'd read in the guidebooks, I wanted to stop in the Puglia town of Alberobello before going further south to Lecce.  The owner of the Matera hotel gave me a route to take for Alberobello.  He said it would be a better and more scenic drive.  He was right.  The drive was excellent.

I only stayed in Alberobello for about 90 minutes.  It is a very small town -- population about 11,000.  But it is a UNESCO site because of the interesting housing that historically existed (and still exists) there.  These are the "trulli."

The trulli are beehive-shaped houses, that are white-tipped as if they'd been dusted by snow.  The only thing they reminded me of were igloos, but these are not made of ice.  There are a couple of very densely packed sections of them in Alberobello.  These trulli were neat to see.  Worth a stop if you're in Puglia.  Here are some pics:




No comments:

Post a Comment