Thursday, April 11, 2013

Paris, Je Really Really Really T'aime (Part Trois)

Thursday was even better.

Perfect Pernick Parisian Morning:  It wasn't raining when I woke up.  It would supposedly start soon, but the skies were dormant at the moment.  I raced over to the main market street that is near the apartment, bought some amazingly fresh fruit (I know the old woman at the Campo Di Fiori market misses me, but she'd understand), had a quick croissant, and snagged a dinner rez at a resto that's supposed to be great.

Then, I did it.  The elusive Paris run along the Seine.  Ran to, around, and under the Eifell Tower, and made it back for a shower, fruit, and tea all still before the rain started.  Then it was off to the Rodin Museum!

Musee Rodin:  Several friends had pitched this museum because it is small, it is mostly outside in gardens, and it has amazingly cool sculptures.  They were dead-on right.  This is an awesome bite-sized museum.  Although it was overcast, the rain held.  Splendid to just leisurely walk around these gardens and take in Le Penseur (The Thinker), La Porte de l'Enfer (The Gates of Hell), and others.  Also a very nice cafe with good sandwiches on baguettes, and what looked to be fresh and tasty salads.



Just two weeks ago, I was with Oomps and Irene in Florence looking at The David.  Now these.  That's a lot of great sculptures in a short time.

Notre Dame:  I wasn't sure I'd go here today.  However, it still wasn't raining after I ate lunch at Rodin, so I walked over.  I do remember seeing this 20 years ago.  But I definitely wanted to go again.  This was the first great European cathedral I'd ever seen, and I wanted to see it again now that I've seen several more.  Totally worth it.  So immense and brooding.  The only thing I'd consider doing differently here is doing a tour or at least getting the audio guide.  (I was tired of the audio guides by this point.)  I'd like to hear more about its history and architecture.





I do recommend going to the Crypt.  It is an underground museum that goes over the history of Notre Dame (and Paris), and it's quite effective.  There are some totally cool interactive 3-D animations that let you watch how Notre Dame advanced over three different periods in the 12th and 13th centuries.

More Decadent Desserts:  Several friends had also mentioned Fauchon.  I didn't know about it before, and it's hard to describe.  One friend described it as "foodie wonderland" or "gourmet Disneyland."  She also noted -- for those who live in the Bay Area or have visited me -- that it's like Draeger's x 1,000.  All apt descriptions.  It's an awesome place for macarons, crazy pretty desserts, tea, foie grois, and other goodies.  You can eat for real there too.  Anyway, it was a well-deserved break after a ton of culture!  (One note:  it's not cheap._


It's totally swank.  
This was vanilla with praline and butterscotch cake/creme inside.  Best thing I've tasted in at least 24 hours.   
"Juice Bar" Dinner:  There are these fancy fruit juices from the south of France that used to only be available at ultra-high-end hotels and restaurants.  They were by Alain Milliart.  But the dude opened a Paris juice bar/bistro about a year ago, so you can get these 33 varieties of juices here not.  And, it's a small restaurant too.  They have 2 appetizers and 2 mains every day, which change frequently based on what's fresh and in season.  Totally cool place.  A great meal.

Monkfish.
Mushrooms and potatoes in a veggie foam.  
The green tomato liqueur (I'm not kidding) as an after-dinner digestif was a pitch-perfect way to end this fantastic day.  It finally rained at dinner-time.  Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment