Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Arrival In Istanbul

I landed in Istanbul at around 5:30 p.m., and didn't make it to my apartment until 7:30.  Needless to say, I'm exhausted.  Too many big trips, too many jumps in time zone back-and-forth, and not nearly enough sleep.  But I have a quick report on my first night here in Istanbul.

I am in an apartment for 5 days that is in a hip neighborhood called Cihangir.  It is across the Golden Horn from the old city (which is where the major tourist sites are and where I will stay for 5 days when my friend Bryan arrives).  But these first 5 days are in Cihangir, which my guidebook describes as a "trendy, arty district where well-heeled Istanbullus (and a growing number of foreigners) gaze down on the Bosphorus from stylish pavement cafes."  It is also just blocks from Taksim Square, i.e., ground zero for the protests and the Government backlash.

Anyway, I haven't done much yet.  A shower woke me up a bit.  But at around 9:00 pm, when I was getting ready to go out and look around for something to eat, I started to hear it.  The cars driving down the street that my apartment overlooks all started honking.  People in this building, across the street, and all over this street went to their windows or terraces.  They started blowing whistles or banging pots.  It lasted for about 15 minutes.  It was very peaceful and respectful.  And it was quiet, in a way.  There was no sound other than the car horns, the whistles, and the pots getting banged.  Nobody spoke.

Here's a snippet of video.  (I hope this works.)


I am not going to pretend to know what this is all about.  I've watched just a couple of news reports and read some blogs, etc., just like you.  But, being here, this little mini-demonstration felt to me like a people who want to have (or maintain) their basic -- and secular -- freedoms and liberties.  It was nice.

A view out my apartment window
It's hard to see her.  But the woman in the picture is banging a pot.  
This is again hard to see.  But the woman standing there is about to blow the whistle that hangs from her neck.  
Some protesters marching around.  

Walking around afterwards, it looked to me like a crowded and buzzing night out in any cosmopolitan city.  Tons of people were out.  I just did a quick no-frills dinner of a couple of "meze" (appetizers).  Now I gotta try to sleep and adjust to this time zone.


2 comments:

  1. Maybe this will finally draw some comments from your readers. We know they're out there!

    ReplyDelete