Saturday, June 22, 2013

Final Thoughts On Istanbul

I totally loved my first visit to Istanbul and I'd go back in a heartbeat.  Istanbul lived up to my expectations -- and not all cities do.  It is not as polished and elegant as a place like Paris.  But there is so much history, the city is so alive, and it is truly a sea of humanity.  It is fascinating to see -- and hear -- from a cultural standpoint, there is water is everywhere, and there is awesome food.  Being there during the Taksim Square protests only added to the excitement that I believe is inherent in Istanbul already.

I'll try to come up with my Top 10 list for Istanbul.  One thing I can say right now is that I recommend splitting your trip into a portion where you stay in Sultanahmet and can be right near the major historic sites, and a portion where you stay on the Beyoglu side of the Golden Horn and can enjoy more of the hipster SoHo-type vibe and Istiklal Cadessi.  The combo is awesome.  (Maybe the only thing I'd change from what I did is to stay first in Sultanahmet; I perhaps did it backwards.)

It was also great to have Bryan meet me there.  Seeing old friends while I'm on this anno sabatico can't be beat.  It was wonderful to explore this fantastic world city together.  Actually, I've been lucky enough to have Bryan and Yonkel come over here back-to-back.  Whoever else back Stateside wants to come over here, just name the city and I'm there!  (OK, I might want to negotiate over which city we pick.)

Despite the above, it's also incredible to be back in Rome.  No more 17-day trips out of Roma.

I still cannot get over Aya Sofya.  This picture gives you an idea of how massive it is -- which parts of the structure are part of the Aya Sofya?  Are they really all part of it?  
Likewise, I am still in awe of the Blue Mosque.  Breathtaking.  
The view of the skyline -- including Aya Sofya (center) and the Blue Mosque (left) -- while ferrying back from the Princes Islands.  

Our last dessert: Helve, which was better than the Halvah I had a few times when I was young -- that stuff is like badly-flavored sand.   It helps to add vanilla ice cream.  
I'm not sure I'd been on a bike in 30 years.  
I'm not sure Bryan has shaved in 30 years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment