Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Week In Pictures

This week was a brilliant reminder that, even when I have nothing major on the agenda, there is just always so much going on here in Roma.  I suspect that this is perhaps true in lots of other great cities worldwide.  But one doesn't always have the available leisure time to seek out -- or stumble upon -- the fun events that are taking place right in your city or even your 'hood.  I pretty much do.   

1.  Last Saturday night, right after getting back from Istanbul, I heard lots of commotion around the block in Piazza del Popolo.  Turned out there was a 10K about to take place through the streets of the city.  The starting gun didn't go off until 10:00 pm and the piazza was mobbed with runners and watchers.  A very fun environment.  













Right after the starting gun, the runners take off down Via del Corso.  
2.  Tuesday night was then a totally fun little opera + ballet event.  Yes, I said OPERA and BALLET!  (How many times do you think I've gone to see any opera OR ballet in the past?  Exactly!)  OK, sure, it was a little cheesy.  I think they tried to make it accessible for novices -- you know how that goes.  The masses.  But I enjoyed it anyway.  'Twas in a little 100-seat (or so) church, and they even did that number from the famous Bugs Bunny episode!




3.  Then, there is the Lungo il Tevere Roma.  This is a little festival that takes place in Rome every summer.  For about a kilometer of the Tiber right along the Trastevere neighborhood, dozens of stalls go up where they sell crafts, art, cute clothing, etc.  There are also a bunch of pop-up restaurants and bars.  I went over there with a friend on Wednesday night, and it was fantastic to walk along the river.  Great place to spend a few hours on a summer night in Roma.





4.  Finally, there is a hot music festival going on right now in Piazza del Popolo.  I think it is going on for another night or two, so I'll have to check it out again.  But even while passing through just before, a band was practicing and getting ready for its performance.  They were great!


So much to do, so little time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment