Tuesday, June 25, 2013

To Beat The Heat

Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli couldn't do it.  But they didn't have as much free time as I have!  I'm determined to beat the heat.  And it's imperative that I do.  Why???

Well, things in Roma don't always run so smoothly.  For example, since I moved into this apartment near Piazza del Popolo 2 months ago, the owner has been saying that he is about to get the air conditioning installed.  OK, that's not entirely accurate.

Actually, for the first month, he said that there is air conditioning in the apartment.  I kept reporting that, although I am thick on occasion, I did not see any vents anywhere or any controls anywhere.  I therefore was skeptical about the claims that there was air conditioning.  Antonio finally came over to check.  He of course backed me up: there was no air conditioning!  (The jedi mind trick simply would not work on me.)

At the end of May, the owner changed tack.  He now said, "OK, yes, we're going to install the air conditioning pronto."  They came over 3 weeks ago, before I left for NY and Istanbul.  They asked me if I want it in the bedroom or living room.  They said it'd be in in a matter of a couple of days.  I said they could pick the day because I'd be out of town.

Here's what I saw when I walked into my bedroom on Saturday after returning from Istanbul:


Yes, that's the air conditioning unit -- still partially in its packaging -- with a makeshift sign above it saying "Work In Progres."  To make matters worse, although we had an incredibly cool spring, summer arrived in Rome while I was away.  Last week, it was stifling -- several days in a row in the mid-to-upper 90s.  This week is a little cooler, but it's still warm and humid and stuffy in the apartment.

The owner now says that he'll have it in by next Monday.  The issue is that he supposedly needs consent from others in the building -- who, by the way, all have air conditioning!  We'll see what happens.  I'm trying to make progres.....  I certainly haven't paid July rent yet!

But I've digressed.  The main point is that I'm trying to find ways to keep cool (or "beat the heat").  As luck would have it, there was a gelato festival on Sunday.  Fortuitous, right?  I had to go.  It was excellent.  Some really good flavors.  And I felt fine imbibing the calories.  My landlord made me do it!





This was my favorite flavor:  white chocolate with green pepper, pistachio, and wafer!



This one wasn't too bad either though:  ricotta cheese, pistachio, almond, and chocolate!





Come to think of it, the gelato cocktail (I chose Irish Ginger Banana) was delightful as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment