Monday, June 17, 2013

Checking Out From Taksim Square

OK, it's time for me to head on over to meet Bryan at our Sultanahmet hotel.  This is where the main tourist sites are, e.g., Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, etc.  I'm excited to see him and Istanbul's most celebrated sites.

But I'll miss being near the excitement and news over here on this side of the Golden Horn.  Cihangir was a terrific area in which to spend a few days, and I'd like to give a shout out to The House Apart apartment rental.  A great place to stay.  Thanks to 2 of my friends in Rome who recommended this place and this district.




To my untrained eye, Istiklal Cadessi seemed normal this morning.  It was totally packed and buzzing.  Taksim Square was open, but the park was closed.  There were huge numbers of police nearby.  But most of them were chilling at cafes.



This has been very interesting to witness; but scary too.  Real issues are at stake here for millions of people.  I hope the Turkish people can work this out with their government, without any further violence, destruction, or unrest.  It seems unlikely to go too smoothly, however, in the short-term.  Let's all hope for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment