Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Broadening My Horizons

One of the truly wonderful things about travel is that it can broaden one's horizons.  Travel and time off help you to challenge your own assumptions, attack your ingrained presumptions, see things from different perspectives, and try out new things.  These are indeed my goals on this extended journey.  I know that I'm lucky to have this opportunity for personal growth, and I will not squander it.  That is my manifesto for this anno sabatico.  A great example came up last night.

As you know, I have been an avid cocktail drinker for the last decade or so.  As you also know, I've been trying to drink more vino during my travels to date.  That's been going well and I've made significant strides.  I've continued to lag, however, when it comes to beer consumption.

That is partly why I had to jump at the chance to attend Katie Parla's Italian beer tasting event last night down in the Village.  While in NY for a few days, what could be better than to go to the "Italian Craft Beer Dinner With Katie Parla" event?  For those of you who don't know, Katie is the leading food critic in Rome and a frequent contributor to the NYT.  (You can read her blog at www.parlafood.com.)  

Last night in NYC, Katie paired 5 Italian beers with food and talked a bit about each of the beers.  A friend/former-client and I went and had a blast.  Some of the beers were fantastic, the food was good, and it was cool to hang out with an enthusiastic group that was so into Italian cuisine and alcohol.

The beer of the night: "Lover Beer's BeerBera."  This is a blend of beer and Barbera wine from Piemonte.  It was crazy good.  
This was amazing too.  "Montegioco's Demon Hunter."  
Duck and collard greens.  (Actually, I have no idea what kind of greens they were.  But the dish was scrumptious.)  


Events like these are what MJP 2.0 is all about.  I will try to keep having new experiences, to push my boundaries, to explore new places and new ideas, to say "yes" rather than "no," and to  keep an open mind regarding different alcoholic beverages.

No comments:

Post a Comment