Sunday, June 16, 2013

Istanbul Day 3 (Not Just Taksim)

I did do some more conventional sight-seeing on Saturday in addition to exploring Taksim Square.  The  high points were my visit to Istanbul's small but pretty excellent modern art museum, the Istanbul Modern, and to the Galata Tower.

The Istanbul Modern is worth a visit.  It's a nice contrast to all the ancient and relatively heavy sites that you'll see.  It also has a pricey cafe that sits on the Bosphorus and has stellar views of the old city and the Asia side.  I sat and had a glass of Turkish white.  They show movies too.  They're showing the new German film Hannah Arendt later on today (Sunday), and I'm tempted; but I probably won't have the time.  The only downside to the museum is that they do not let you take pictures inside.


I think that's Jonah Hill towards the right.  I didn't bug him.  


The Galata Tower was built in 1349.  It offers magnificent panoramic views of the city.  Also worth a visit.



 
I'm also continuing to love the food and to just wander.

I can't get enough of my breakfast spot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment