Saturday, June 1, 2013

Potential Job Opportunity In Roma....

OK, so, I inferred on Thursday that there is some pent-up market demand for kosher sushi in Italy's capital.  On Friday, I learned first-hand that there is another glaring market need here that some enterprising English speaker may want to exploit.  It's really sorta obvious: this town needs fitness instructors who can bark their commands in English.

Here's what happened.  I found that new gym.  It's a huuuuuge step up.  Great location -- right between Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps.  Way bigger than my old Trastevere gym -- I can actually stretch out my lanky frame.  I'll even be able to really work on the abs again.  More cardio machines, more free weights and strength machines, etc.  And, there are even exercise classes, which I had dipped my toe into for the month or two before I left California.

I did the Total Body/Flexinball class on my first day yesterday at Linea Fitness Club.  But, as MoFo Ken knows from some of our Saturday morning classes in Palo Alto -- or as any old girl-friend who ever tried to get me to dance knows -- coordination with complex and simultaneous leg, arm, and torso movements is not my strong suit.  (I think Oomps is the only one in the family who got that gene.)

Well, anyway, you might be surprised to know that the problem is multiplied by 1000x when you don't even understand what the instructor is saying!  To his credit, the guy was super nice.  I think he could tell from the bewildered look on my face and by my feckless attempts to move more than one limb at a time that I did not speak Italian -- and so he sprinkled in from time-to-time some words in English.  But, wow, this was difficult.

So, there you have it.  If any of you is a fitness instructor who wants to work in Rome, have I got a job for you!

P.S.  One other observation.  There were lots of Romans at this 1:15 class on Friday afternoon.  What's the deal with that?  Don't these people have to work?  Who has time for a 1:15 pm exercise class.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment